Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Saturday Six - December 10, 2011

1. While going through old boxes, you find an old library book of which you are very fond, but you realize that it was a library book. You assume that the library has long-since written the book off as a loss because it has been boxes away for 20 years or more, and the book carries a great deal of sentimental value for you. Would you return the book or keep it? 
I'd have to return the book. It wouldn't be right not to.  If I liked the book that much, I would have to buy my own copy if I wanted one.
I had something similar to this happen, actually.  I could have sworn I returned a book to the library but they had no record of me returning it.  I finally had to pay the library for the book.  Years later I came across the book at home.  I was embarrassed but I took it back to the library. They did give back the money I'd spent on the book which was nice.


2. You visit one of your closest friends who is battling a terminal illness. It’s clear he or she will not survive, but is in a lot of pain. Your friend begs you to briefly disconnect life support long enough for death to come. If there is no way your intervention could be discovered and no way you could face any kind of prosecution, would you grant your friend’s request? 
I'm honestly not sure that I could do this.  I just think taking a life is so wrong regardless of the circumstances.  I suppose I really don't know, though as I'm not in that situation.  Perhaps if I was asked to, I could.


3. You have the chance to be in a parade and ride on a float supporting a cause you believe in, but you can’t appear in any kind of disguise or costume: which cause’s float would you most likely be comfortable selecting? 
I'd be comfortable on a float for any of a number of causes that I support:   LGBT rights, animal welfare, world peace, etc.


4. Your company’s top executive team arrives for a surprise visit, and selects you and a handful of other employees to meet with one-on-one in an attempt to get the pulse of their employees and to uncover any problems within the organization. How honest are you likely to be about your answers when they ask about specific problems you know exist, even if it means that friends you work with could lose their jobs over what you say? 
I would try to be as honest as possible but I wouldn't single out anyone specific. I'd try to be more general than that but still be helpful.


5. You find yourself slated to be a guest on a talk show: which host, living or dead, would you most like to be interviewed by, and why would you choose that host? 
I can't really think of a television talk show host who I'd prefer but there is one on the radio who comes to mind.  I do really like the respectful way that Terry Gross (from NPR's Fresh Air) approaches her interview subjects so I'd prefer her.

6. Your church decides to take part in a political protest, and it seems that nearly everyone feels the same way about the issue. You, however, do not share their view. At the risk of being ostracized, would you deny to participate, or would you search for a way to quietly assist, without being out in front?
As a non-believer, I don't belong to a church so this question doesn't really apply to me.  I would, however, not take part in a protest I did not believe in as a part of any group.

These have been the Saturday Six from Patrick's Place!

No comments:

Post a Comment