Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Knowledge is Power

People who have known me for some time realize that there are some things that drive me insane.  Sometimes these are petty little things but I simply can't help it.  I'd like to address a misconception today as it is appropriate to the season.

The misconception is that the use of Xmas instead of Christmas is part of some plot to remove "Christ" from Christmas.

Yes. *sighs*  This is a belief that may be part of that mythical "War on Christmas" that we hear about so much this time of year. [No, no... I'm not going to go into that whole thing right now so calm down.]

Did you know that...
  • X stands for the Greek letter Chi - which is the beginning letter of Χριστός, which means Christ in Greek
  • The first known usage of Xmas can be traced back to monks in 1021 who were translating old manuscripts into Old English
  • Franklin Graham - son of Billy Graham - is one of the people who have mistaken the use of Xmas as an effort to remove Jesus from Christmas
Now... some people - [including English professor and author, Paul Brians] - suggest we not use Xmas so as not to insult people who may not be aware of the origins.

Excuse me?  People are advocating ignorance rather than educating others?  No...  I cannot go along with this.  Instead, when I see or hear someone complaining about the use of Xmas, I speak up and educate them.

Now you can do that, too...  

Image courtesy of NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment