Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, December 9, 2011

Confusing Campaign Ad

Governor Rick Perry has a new campaign ad out.  Have you seen it?  I don't normally bother to view the campaign ads of the Republicans who are seeking their party's nomination for President as I'm not a Republican. [I'm sure this is a shocker to all of you. Who would have guessed?]  This one ad was brought to my attention, however, so I clicked to watch it.

I have to admit that I'm a little bit confused by the ad and have to wonder what country Governor Perry lives in!

I'm not entirely sure, for example, why Governor Perry believes that students can't pray in schools.  They most certainly can!  The fact that our public schools are secular only means that students cannot be led in prayer by school administrators or teachers.  Students can pray all they want to as long as it isn't disruptive.  What's more, students can meet before or after school to pray on school grounds. So... children can pray in school, can't they?

As for his issue with gays serving openly in the military I just find his objection pathetic.  I understand that some people are deeply offended by the fact that gay and lesbian people exist and would rather they hide themselves from the public but this is unreasonable. It is not part of a "War on Religion" to allow people to openly admit their sexual orientation while they serve our country in the military. I don't think any soldier is going to care whether a fellow soldier is straight or gay while they are fighting alongside each other.  Do you?

As for the entire term "War on Religion", I find it laughable. No one is being kept from practicing any religion they wish to in this country. No one has to sneak around in order to be able to worship.  No one is hunting down and imprisoning people for worshiping whatever god or gods they want.  No one is being killed for owning or distributing religious texts here. Where is this war, I'd like to know?  No, there is no war on religion in this country.  We simply recognize that people of various faiths [and lack of faith] live in this country and that we must be tolerant of each other.

Sounds more like peace than war to me!

Image courtesy of NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment