Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Workplace Classes

I received an email from my boss yesterday informing me that it is soon time for my annual training.  Well... all of us in the office, really....

I need to take the following classes:

Diversity
Emergency Preparedness
Fire Prevention and Protection
GMPs:  Effective Hand Washing Techniques
Hazard Communications
Prohibited Harassment

Most of them seem like standard workplace classes.  Since I work in a poultry-processing plant, the hand washing class is important, as well.

I got to thinking about what other classes I feel that folks in my workplace could benefit from. Many of my coworkers could use a class in

  • Proper Email Techniques.  It would include information such as how typing in all caps is inappropriate, proper forwarding techniques (as in, take time to remove all the stuff from other forwarders) and how to use spell check.
  • How to Compromise with Other People. Subtitle:  No. You aren't going to get everything you want all the time so learn to work with other people so that you can reach a happy medium!
  • How to properly use the telephone. Don't call me twenty times!  Leave a freaking message and I'll call you back!!
  • How to Treat Other People. I believe some people did not learn basic manners in kindergarten and need a remedial class. You would not believe the level of rudeness I encounter in a day!
What classes would you give your co-workers if you had a choice?

Image of The Sombrero Galaxy courtesy of NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment