Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saturday Six - November 5, 2011

1. Do you think you have the same accent as most of the people who live in your neighborhood, or do you sound like you’re from somewhere else?  I don't think so.  Many folks around here have a heavy PA Dutch accent and I don't think I do.  I could be wrong, though!

2. Have you ever been mistaken by a stranger as being from somewhere other than your place of birth? If so, what’s the farthest from your hometown one has guessed you’re from? I can't recall this ever happening. Huh. Maybe that's an indication that I do sound like everyone else around here!

3. If you had to come up with a name for the dialect you hear most often, what would it be? Pennsylvania Dutch is what we call it.

4. Take the quiz: What Kind of American English Do You Speak?


You Speak General American English!





50% General American English
25% Yankee
15% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
 0% Midwestern

Well that sounds rather boring, doesn't it?


5. What regional word or expression common to your area do you find yourself using most often? I can't think of one right now. 

6. Which regional word or expression common to your area do you hate the most? "Yous" -they use it as a plural of you, ignoring the fact that "you" is plural!  This drives me batty!  


These are the Saturday Six from Patrick's Place!

No comments:

Post a Comment