Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday Six - November 12, 2011

1. From Aislínge: What is your favorite food?  I don't really have a favorite but many favorites so I'll list a few! I love a good steak (delmonico - medium rare),  potatoes cooked in the coals of a campfire (I've no idea why they are so much better this way but they are awesome!), asparagus, whole-grain cream of wheat - with a little butter and salt (this, too, is awesome!  You'll never eat the instant stuff again!) Um... oh!  Cheesecake!  (New York style), Sour cherry pie (no. it is NOT the same if you used canned fruit.  Use either fresh or cherries you froze.) and... chocolate.  Dark, milk, or white chocolate - I love them all. 

2. From Strange: Who were your heroes or people you looked up to when you were young? I loved reading biographies when I was young (especially about women) so my heroes were people like Harriet Tubman, Florence Nightingale, and Clara Barton!  

3. From Cat.: What’s the best part about your job? The best part about my job, I often say, is the fact that a lot of it is monotonous and doesn't take a lot of thought.  So... if I had a bad night sleeping (which seems more the norm than the exception recently) I can still function at work fairly well.  Of course, this also causes the job to be boring.  I've discovered that listening to NPR programs while I work solves this problem.  I can keep up on what's going on in the world and hear stories about fascinating subjects while I work. That's a win-win situation!

4. From Aislínge: What is the one thing for which you are most grateful to your parents? My parents never let me - nor my sisters - believe that we could not do anything we wanted to when we grew up, despite the fact that we were female.  
I grew up in the 70s.  Women, for the most part, were expected to grow up, marry and stay home with their children during that time.  The undercurrent was that women just wouldn't be able to handle a lot of what men did so they should stick to raising children and keep up the household for their husband.  (It seems like an alien culture compared to now days, doesn't it?)
I was never told that I couldn't do whatever I set my mind to and I am grateful that my parents believed that to be true.

5. From Aislínge: What was/is the one thing your parents did that most made you angry? I really can't think of anything off-hand.  I know there were plenty of things they did that displeased me as I was growing up but I realize now that I didn't have the perspective they did at the time so I couldn't understand their point of view.

6. From Strange: What is your favorite time of year and why? My favorite time of year is Autumn!  I love the cooler nights and how lovely the mountains look when the leaves start changing!  There is something about the light at dusk in the fall that I just adore. (and I know that makes no sense but I'm not able to articulate why I think the light is different at that time of year but I do!)




These are the Saturday Six this week from Patrick's Place!

No comments:

Post a Comment