Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, October 27, 2011

What do I believe in?

I am a skeptic.  If something doesn't sound right to me, I will research it.  If something is not based on fact or scientific truth, I am cynical.


  • This is why I call myself an atheist. (I've been known to use the term agnostic occasionally but that's a discussion for another day.  What matters is that I don't believe in God - by any name.)
  • This is why I don't believe in magic.
  • This is why I don't believe that aliens abduct people and return them after they've done tests on them.
  • This is why I don't believe in Bigfoot. Or the Loch Ness Monster.
  • This is why I don't believe that the Bermuda Triangle is more dangerous than anywhere else.
  • This is why I don't participate in seances.

and so forth.

Now... this doesn't mean that I don't have as much fun as anyone with Halloween and the idea of ghosts and goblins and such!  I love to pretend it is real.  It's fun to do so!

But, when it comes down to it, don't ask me to believe in these things.  Yes... I know... you have had this experience -or your mother has -or your sister -or a friend of a friend and yeah.  I'm sorry.

If there is something that cannot be explained with science, it simply means we've just not figured it out yet.  

That is what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment