Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Settling In

I've recently become more comfortable with my relatively new little corner of the 'net here and decided to start using my real first name along with my nickname.  I'm also lowering a few walls elsewhere, as well, but most of you won't see any indication of this.

It may seem odd to many people that I didn't use my real name in the first place.  Many people do!  I've seen plenty of people who use both first and last names and reveal the name of the town they live in and feel perfectly safe doing so.  I used to reveal a lot more information about myself, in fact, but I'm very careful about what I reveal to who now days.

I have my reasons.

Let's just say that I've discovered that sometimes the internet is not the most friendly place.  Let's also say that sometimes people take advantage of the relative anonymity online and say things to people that they normally would not.  (at least not to their face, I would imagine)

Let's also say that I am not going to stop voicing my views now that I'm not hiding as much. I happen to believe that this would be like letting the bullies win and I'm not going to allow this to happen.

As usual, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions and is welcome to voice them in the comments.  I do insist that any discussions be civil and I will delete comments I feel are not.

That's all! Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment