Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Passive-aggressive or no?

I'm hoping to get some feedback on this one:

K and I went to his parent's place for dinner on Sunday.  His aunt and uncle were invited, as well.

His aunt (his mother's sister) is diabetic.  (this is important)

K's mother made ham, sweet potato casserole, carrots and green beans.  Sounds alright until she told us that


  • the ham was cooked in the crock pot in a cola concoction containing brown sugar and 2 cans of soda (as well as other ingredients)
  • the sweet potato casserole contained brown sugar 
  • the carrots were flavored with pancake syrup


Yeah. The only dish NOT containing sugar was the green beans!

Then she brought out dessert:  Brownies

But not just ANY brownies.  Brownies with a layer of marshmallow cream topped with a mixture of chocolate and peanut butter and topped with cocoa Pebbles cereal.

Seriously! This was a complete sugar feast!  In my opinion, it was completely unacceptable to serve this meal to a person with diabetes!

I said the same to K on the way home and he poo-pooed me.

Do you folks think I'm over-reacting to this?

2 comments:

  1. It may or may not be passive-aggressive, but it is assuredly unsuitable, completely inappropriate, and utterly thoughtless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only just seen this so sorry for the delayed response. I just wanted to say that I don't think it's a meal I would serve ANYONE, let alone a diabetic!

    ReplyDelete