Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Enough is enough!

There are few things I can think of that I cannot tolerate.

  • I do not believe in God.  I accept that others are comfortable in their religious beliefs and that's fine with me.  As long as you aren't hiding behind that religion as a reason to discriminate against others, harm others, or trying to convert me then we're cool.
  • I am a liberal Democrat.  I accept that you may not share my political opinions.  I don't mind discussing my political views with you in a cordial manner. As long as you aren't spewing falsehoods and lies at me in an attempt to prove your point of view, we're fine.
I think you get the idea.

That said, you know those emails that your friends/co-worker and family members forward to you? The ones that are supposed to get you all worked up about something?  Now that I'm on Facebook and Google + (which I prefer, by the way) (just saying) I have seen these same sort of claims making the rounds on these social networking sites, as well.

This is where we get to what I cannot will not tolerate.  I will not put up with people who re-post or forward these sort of things to other folks without checking them for accuracy!  


I updated my status on FB today explaining that you re-post one of these things and something smells funny, I will investigate.  If I find facts to disprove your post, I will make a comment explaining where it is false or misleading.

Don't tell me that no harm is done by passing these on!  It is harmful to spread lies!   

Don't say that you do not have time to check them out.  It takes 5 minutes to go to Snopes.com and search for the topic.  (Or to FactCheck.org if it is a political matter)

It's time for this crap to stop.  Seriously.




No comments:

Post a Comment