Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, September 23, 2011

Overheard in the cafeteria...

I know... I know... I said I'd start blogging again and then I didn't.

I'm lame that way.

It isn't even that I haven't had things to blog about in my life.  It's that I just haven't taken the time to do so. 

Let's try again...
----------

There is an incident which disturbed me yesterday in the lunch room.  The CEO of the company was seated near us and he started talking to my co-worker who was seated across from me.  He mentioned that he walked into his living room the other evening and discovered that his wife and daughter were watching Dancing with the Stars and he was upset because this season's show includes Chaz Bono.  This bothers him greatly, apparently, and he declared - rather loudly and with a look of total disgust - that as far as he is concerned, if a person is born a female then they are a woman!  He vehemently objected to his family watching the show - which he equated with supporting Chaz and all other transgender people.
To her credit, my co-worker stated simply that she disagreed with him. He muttered something about having to agree to disagree and soon wandered off.

It took me until just a couple minutes ago to realize why the incident disturbed me so much.  See, a CEO in this day and age has to be very careful when he or she speaks so as not to appear to be discriminatory towards people. Despite this, he thought it was appropriate to declare that he is uncomfortable and generally outraged with the idea of transgender people.  That's the thing.  It is still socially acceptable to loudly declare that one is uncomfortable with transgender people. Therefore it is still socially acceptable to discriminate against them, mock them, and avoid them.  

Do you imagine that there will ever be a time when people are accepted for who they are?  All of us?!?
---------
In other news, I went to an absolutely awesome convention last weekend!  (Intervention)  This post is long enough so I will talk about that on the next one. 

photo courtesy of NASA Goddard Space Center

No comments:

Post a Comment