Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, September 30, 2011

Bits of Randomness


[To the left is a picture of the vortex at the south pole of Venus courtesy of NASA. Did you know that NASA images are considered public property so you can post them without worrying about copyright infringement?  It's true!  So is the data that they collect, by the way. This image came from an article on Venus's weather that can be found here.]




I have several things on my mind right now so I'm going to place them here to get them off my chest.

First up is this KFC commercial.


Excuse me, KFC, but to paraphrase your commercial:  What part of the chicken is the POPCORN?!? Huh?

I'm sorry, but... I work for a poultry company.  We make chicken nuggets.  Our nuggets are whole chunks of white meat chicken, not pieces and skin pressed together like other companies sometimes sell.  I've no idea what popcorn chicken is, though.  The trimmings? *shrugs*  
------------
Secondly, I have to rant a little about this report:
Yes.  Believe it or not, there are still people who think that there is a link between autism and vaccinations!  Still!!  I find this totally unbelievable!!  This kind of ignorance just blows my mind!  Good grief, people!  Get your children vaccinated before they die of a disease they shouldn't have!
------------
Thirdly, 3 bad words:  Breed Specific Legislation!  An online acquaintance mentioned a case in the UK in an area where there is a law against owning a pit bull.  A dog was classified as a pit - even though it appears not to be one - and it looks like it will be put down.  Now - this dog did nothing wrong.  It is simply being killed because of it's appearance.  People, this is just plain wrong!  The notion that any particular breed of dog is more aggressive than others is faulty!  Any mistreated dog is more likely to be aggressive than one that is treated right!  Instead of educating people about proper care, we are blaming a particular breed of dog!  This is just wrong.  Heck, I'm old enough to remember when Dobermans were the "dangerous" dogs!  There was a German Shepard phase, too!  When are we going to realize what the real problem is? 
-------------
Okay.  I think I feel a bit better now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment