Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

So... my daughter and I received a revised statement from the school where she is enrolled and planning to start in the fall. (October, actually. Her school has an odd schedule.)

Due to the changes in how much financial aid is available, I will have to get a loan of over $20,000 to cover the tuition not paid by grants and student loans. That's twice what we were looking at originally.

I don't know how I'm going to swing this. I really don't.

I'm not sure what to do, either. I don't want to tell my daughter that she cannot pursue her dreams.

The initial estimate was around $9000 total that I'd have to worry about. That didn't seem bad. We're now looking at twice that much and... while I'm sure I can get a loan to cover it, I'm concerned about how it is going to get paid off.

See - I grew up in a family of 5. My parents knew they could not afford to pay for college for us and let us know that it was our responsibility to do so if we wanted to seek higher education. That was before the prices went sky high, of course. Student loans covered my tuition back then. Now days they don't cover very much.

As a single mother of 3, I let my girls know that I would help them out as much as possible but that their education was something that they were ultimately responsible for paying for.

My oldest daughter waited until she was married, then went to night school to become a nursing assistant. My middle daughter is attending a state university to get a degree in education. She attended a local community college for her first two years to cut down on expenses and is living at home and commuting to the state university. Now we come to my youngest. She wants a degree in film editing and multimedia. We found a school that seemed perfect but it is expensive. They did a financial rundown and told us upfront that there was $9000 not covered by grants and loans. I figured it was worth it. It really is an excellent school. Then both the federal government and our state government slashed the funding to grants and student loans and... we're looking at $20000.

And all I can think is how the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. It's going to get to the point that the only people who can afford higher education are the rich. Something has got to change, people.

photo by David Beyer

2 comments:

  1. This may sound weird, but what if SHE took out a loan to pay it? The loan would not have to be paid off till after she has completed school.. and i emerged from college with around 30k in loans. I paid off half over 10 years and then got some help to pay off the rest. The interest rates aren't bad for students..
    x_n._x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, but... she is already getting the maximum in student loans already. This is in addition to student loans and grants that she qualifies for.

    ReplyDelete