Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, August 4, 2011

So, I mentioned that K and I went to a shopping mall the other evening. I noticed something while I was there and I wonder if this is something that just I have experienced or if others have had this happen, as well.
While walking through the mall - or into a store - there is often a salesperson who is looking for someone to engage in conversation. They want to squirt a free sample of lotion on your hands or have you sample something. You know what I mean.

Well, in the past, I would avoid these people by not making eye contact with them. If I didn't look at them, they'd leave me alone. Well. Somewhere along the way it appears that the rules have changed! Twice while I was walking down the mall a person from one of the kiosks in the middle approached me and tried to get my attention. The first one screamed to me about have I ever tried straightening my hair and the second one tried to squirt some sort of lotion onto my hand!

I was flabbergasted!

What happened to the unspoken rule that if I do not make eye contact with you, you leave me alone?!? Can't I walk in the mall without being accosted by salespeople? I realize I don't get out much but could someone please tell me when did the rules change and why wasn't I told?!?

This is yet another reason to avoid the mall!




4 comments:

  1. That's...rather appalling.

    I suspect, though, that the answer is that they have quotas that they haven't been making, and are getting desperate. For that matter, I believe that people who acept that kind of job in the first place are already pretty desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. You'd have to be desperate to do that for a living! But... these are desperate times, aren't they? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complain to mall management.
    Write a letter to the company in question and tell them you are allergic to certain products. They could have been facing a large lawsuit if they sprayed the wrong stuff on you. The company will see this as a dangerous practice, which it is, not to mention a violation of your personal space.

    Hint: Do it in a pleasant way and they might even send you a gift certificate and an apology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may do that, Jon. I was quite shocked at the salesperson's behavior and you do make a valid point.

    ReplyDelete