Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Monday, August 1, 2011


So, I had the day off last Friday. Before I left Thursday, I made sure that all my work was caught up. My desk was neat and tidy and the only paperwork left were for issues that I was unable to resolve until this week.

I arrived at the office today to discover a couple piles on the blotter in front of my monitor, a couple papers on top of my calculator and some mail in my in-box.

What I cannot understand is why all the paperwork was not placed in my in-box. Do people think that I won't see it there? Are they under the impression that the paperwork they are giving me is more important and needs to be the first thing I see on my arrival? Seriously! What gives?

Ah, well... I suppose no system is perfect. Perhaps next time I am off a day, I'll make a new label for my in-box to ensure that it is obvious what it's purpose is.

3 comments:

  1. Be glad you didn't also find papers in your *seat* as well -- that was an obnoxious but sadly common tradition at my previous office! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't usually do that when I'm off a day. They will do that during the day if I leave my desk. It really is annoying! Again... I have an in-box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Note to Self: Subscribe by email when making comments so you'll know when you get replies!)

    I actually suspect it has more to do with them and their own inbox habits than with yours. People who don't check inboxes immediately and thoroughly themselves when they've been away from their desks are more likely to drop things on your chair, keyboard, wherever -- especially when time-sensitive -- because that's how *they* are more likely to notice things.

    ReplyDelete