Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Saturday Six! - August 6, 2011

1. How many social media networks do you belong to at the moment? I was unsure how to define "social media" so I'm using this definition:
The term social media refers to the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into interactive dialogue.
Alright, then. I'll say 4. Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Xanga - though I really don't blog there any more but I do go there to interact with people. I'm not including Blogger as I think of it as a blogging platform but it really doesn't do much to encourage interaction between the users. (unless I'm using it wrong...)

2. How many social media networks have you joined, then stopped using because you didn’t care for their setup or operation? There are two that I can think of: LiveJournal and MySpace.

3. Which social media network do you use the most? I'm on Facebook almost all day - but Google + is starting to gain more of my attention. I tweet sporadically.

4. ?Take the quiz: Are You Facebook, MySpace or Twitter? Results: You are Facebook.

You are interested in your friends' lives, and you enjoy adding your opinion to the mix.
While you enjoy sharing online, you don't want everyone to know your business.
You value your privacy. Your life is an open book to those you know but not to strangers.

5. How do you feel about geotagging networks like FourSquare, where users can post their current locations: cool idea or security risk? They can be a security risk - if you post your results on Twitter or Facebook and aren't careful about who can view those things. I have joined FourSquare and I use it occasionally when I go out and have a couple of friends who do, too. It's sort of neat to see where your friends are and let them know where to find you.

6. If you know a company that you do a lot of business with is on a social network that you belong to, are you more likely to “friend” or “like” them? Um, maybe. It depends on the network and how I think I come off on that network.

These are my answers to this week's Saturday Six over at Patrick's Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment