Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Saturday, August 6, 2011

K's cousin's son is getting married and we received an invitation in the mail this past week.

No, the invitation is not to the wedding. It is to the open house reception. The invitation was on a post card and there is nothing about an RSVP. We are not, I guess, invited to the ceremony itself.

I'm not sure whether to be insulted or not.

Perhaps this is the "latest thing" in weddings but it just seems a little tacky to have an open house reception. I've just never heard of such a thing. I don't believe this is an attempt to save money, by the way, as the reception is being held at the country club - and that is not a cheap venue.

I guess we'll be expected to give the couple a gift. :-/

Does anyone have any idea what would be expected in this situation? I'm sort of baffled!

photo by in_pastel

2 comments:

  1. That's all together tacky and I wouldn't go at all let alone a gift.
    New follower both blogs:)
    Thanks for stopping by and visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wedding invite = no gift. Period.

    Mate's cousin had a "private" wedding but an "open" reception (I call that a "Gift Grab"). She didn't get a thing from us.

    It may be tacky not to give a gift, but it's even TACKIER to pull that crap. You're not good enough to come to our wedding, but send us a gift anyway. No dice.

    I am a bitter old hag. lol

    LisaBlessing

    ReplyDelete