Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I've been following coverage of the riots in the UK this week. (note: There is a photo journal here that I found particularly poignant) It has me thinking of the reasons that people riot in the first place.

One of my online friends lives in England - but thankfully not in a city affected by the riots - and he states that the rioting has absolutely nothing to do with the initial shooting of a young man by the police. Most commentators seem to agree.

I've read an article from an Irish paper where possible reasons for the riots are discussed. It points out that the rioters are mostly young people, then lists possible reasons for them to riot:
  • The rioters feel as if they are not a part of the community
  • A general feeling of malcontent
  • The widening gap between rich and poor
  • Racial inequality
That fact that these situations also exist here in the US has me wondering if - with the proper instigation - it could happen here in the US!

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I am most definitely in agreement! 82% of Americans think Congress is useless!! The other 18% are waiting for the rapture, and have no comment.

    ReplyDelete