Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I was not surprised when Congress passed the bill to increase the debt limit yesterday. I was displeased that it was drawn out as long as it was. I was disappointed with the bill they ended up passing. I was discouraged by the negative vote on the bill by one of my Senators. I was not, however, surprised by any of this. I figured something would be passed at the last minute.

I was not surprised, either, that - despite all the talk from our Senators and Representatives about how important jobs are in this economy and despite pleas from the administration that they act and despite the fact that this is going to cause a loss of $1.2 billion in tax revenue - that the Congress failed to extend FAA funding before heading home yesterday.

I am not surprised because Congress is consistently inconsistent.

Now, to be fair, I get that our representatives are worn out from the last minute haggling and deal-making concerning the debt limit. I really do. But seriously. Do these people think that their jobs are supposed to be stress-free? Of course they aren't. That is why they are paid decently to do their jobs.

So, in short: I'm disgusted but not the least bit surprised. Sounds like Congress is operating their business as usual to me.

photo by Sean MacEntee

3 comments:

  1. Sean, I think you hit the nail on the head. I am incredibly disappointed in our Congress because I feel that the constant games of brinkmanship and obstructionism rank as the only consistencies of that body. I would love to return to the days when no Member was beholden to an outside group like the Americans for Tax Reform and instead start seeing days when Members were accountable to their constituents and what is best for America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I'm not Sean, though - that's just the name of the person who took the photo I used. ;-)

    I have to say that for the first time that I can remember, I feel like my opinion does not matter in the least bit to my Representative and Senators. I wonder if the letters I write are even worth the time I take to write them. It doesn't stop me from writing, but I do get discouraged when all I get back many times is a form letter instead of something addressing the issue I wrote about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. "Consistently inconsistent."

    For the salary and benefits they receive, there should be no recesses or even leaving at the end of the day during a crisis like this until the deal is done.

    I bet that would make them work a little faster.

    ReplyDelete