Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Alphabe-Thursday! The letter S!!

S is for seashells!


She sells sea shells by the sea shore! (sorry... just had to!!)


I realized when I chose seashells for this week's post that I really didn't know how they are formed! So... I Googled it! (as I often point out to folks, Google is your friend. Learn how to phrase your search correctly and you can find practically anything through Google)


Here's what I found out:
  • Mollusks - the creatures who live inside a seashell - are invertebrate animals who use the shells to protect themselves from predators.
  • Mollusks ingest salt and chemicals and excrete calcium carbonate which hardens into a shell.
  • The shell is not part of the living animal. It is not made of cells, but minerals.
  • Different colors in the shells are due to the mollusk's diet! Mollusks living in tropical climates have more of a variety in their diet so their shells are more colorful than mollusks who live in colder climates with fewer food choices.
  • Lines and patterns in the shell are due to varying rates of secretion of the calcium carbonate.
Who knew there were so many interesting things to learn about seashells? Hope you enjoyed learning about them, as well!


Jenny Matlock


photo by wildxplorer

9 comments:

  1. interestiing post I never knew this Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting post! I never really thought about how the mollusks made the shells. I'm off to "Google" for more info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not sure I wanted to know that but hey, those mollusks aren't wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sea shells - and I did not know any of that, nor has it ever occurred to me to even wonder! Thanks!
    Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biology! *shudder* one of the classes I put off til my senior year at the university. I dislike it that much.

    I do, however, love seashells. Growing up near the ocean gave me a love for them. I even have a puka shell necklace that (normally) hangs from my dresser (temporarily displaced for recarpeting purposes). I got it when my family lived in Hawaii when I was young. We also have a jar of shells I collected along beaches in Florida when I was *even younger*. I do have an affinity for them....

    ~Ashley~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post..I enjoyed learning about sea shells and I really liked "she sells sea shells by the sea shore" hahahaha...great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for enjoying my hydrangea painting and sunset photo!

    Since I taught biology for 36 years, I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never look at a sea shell in quite the same way again! What fascinating information. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting post!

    I found this totally fascinating. I'm glad you were curious. It was really fun to find these things out.

    Thanks for sharing this week.

    A+

    ReplyDelete