Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Alphabe-Thursday! The letter R!

Redheads!



If you look for myths about redheads you certainly find a lot of them! Some of them contradict each other within the same culture! For example, in ancient Egypt, many of the pharaohs were redheads - including Ramses! Despite this fact, redheads were considered unlucky and women with red hair were sometimes burned to death to prevent spreading the hair color to another generation!


The Greeks reportedly thought that redheads turned into vampires after they died. I'm not sure what they did to prevent this, though. It would seem a bit counter-intuitive to kill them if you believed this. Perhaps they did their best to keep them alive, instead!


During the Spanish Inquisition, red hair was a sign that you were to be burnt as a witch!


The stories go on and on. Thank goodness now days we don't put redheads to death or fear them - though there are rumors of a redhead's temper!


Photo by Sunny Ripert (Flickr) [CC-BY-SA-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons




Jenny Matlock

11 comments:

  1. I didn't know Greek redheads turned into vamps. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, many people spend a lot of money to become a redhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeegads! I never knew this. Being one of two redheads in my entire school, my sister was the otherone, it was hard enough growing up with red hair. Thank God noone thought like this back in the day. I was thrilled to go from freak to having the most sought after color in the 90's. ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  4. some sad facts,

    glad to see positive changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that blonds and readheads have more hair per square inch on their heads than brunettes? Little known fact!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can attest to what Judie said. I have two heads of hair and my stylist complians about it everytime she has to blow it dry. ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, glad I was born in the here and now.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. These days red hair is very fashionable. I don't know if kids still tease the redheads like they did when I as young.I am sure hat must hav changed.
    LOvely R post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once red hair was considered as ugly and today it's very in fashion !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love redheads! Who would have thought such horrors befell women with red hair? Thanks for the look into a bygone period (thank the Lord, right?)! PS: Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have two beautiful red-headed Grandlittles and two beautiful red-headed daughter-in-laws. Red hair certainly evokes emotion in people.

    I remember many a time when people would approach me with the Grands and ask to touch their hair, or cry, or tell us long, long stories about someone they remember with red hair.

    This was a neat post.

    Ames comment made me smile.

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete