Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Alphabe-Thursday! The letter P!

I am participating in Alphabe-Thursday from Jenny Matlock this week and the letter is P! One of my favorite summer flowers is the petunia. I am particularly fond of the striped ones - as shown in the picture.

I generally have a lot of decorative containers hanging on my porch or setting around the porch or patio. I also have a flower garden. So, I've lots of opportunities to use petunias as a summer decoration.

This year we had a horribly wet spring up here in Pennsylvania so I really didn't plant anything in my garden. I've allowed the perennials to take over and it really doesn't look as bad as you'd think. The containers are a different matter, however. Most of them never were brought out of the basement after the winter was over but there are several larger containers which stay out over the winter and those are embarrassing bare.

I have to admit that I'm a little ashamed that I didn't hop to it and get things planted once I was able to this year - even if it wasn't until mid-June before I could. It is too late to worry about this now, however! I will simply have to try to do better next year. I miss the splashes of summer color that usually decorate my front porch!

Photo by Lewis Collard.

14 comments:

  1. It has been so hot here that many of the things we planted haven't made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point, JDaniel4's Mom! It's been horribly hot here, as well, so I may have had that same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the striped ones too. There's one thing a don't like about petunias - they're sticky! I didn't plant a garden because we're in drought, here in Oklahoma. Just trying to keep the trees alive! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I had forgotten about that! You're right! I always did dislike touching them to remove the spent blooms because of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love petunias too. They are so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the striped petunias! So cheery!

    I'm your newest follower. I hope that you follow me back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're my only follower, Barbara, but how diplomatic of you not to point that out! *grins* I'll be sure to "follow" you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother-in-law always used to plant petunias in her garden, and they have to be the most cheerful flowers around.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have petunias in flower pots in our garden. They last from Mai til October which is very practical !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't buy petunias this year - I don't know what happened, but the time slipped by before I missed them. Next year I'll have to be more aware. I love those striped ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello.
    Love the color and the stripes.

    Thanks for sharing.

    I'm here:
    Pages Of Love

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we lived in Ohio I could never grow petunias. For some reason they seem to thrive here in AZ but as a spring flower.

    There are some varieties that are so fragrant. I never knew that petunias could have such lovely scent!

    Thanks for a perfectly lovely link this week.

    A+

    ReplyDelete