Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Sunday, July 31, 2011


I've recently gotten interested in Formula One racing. I've always enjoyed watching Nascar, but an online, European friend of mine convinced me to watch a Formula One race earlier in the season.

It would appear that I am now hooked.

There are several problems if one wants to watch F1 racing in the states, however.
  1. Not all races are run in real time. Some races this season were broadcast by Fox and run starting at noon even though the actual race would have begun around 8 AM my time. I detest finding out race results before I've had the opportunity to watch a race so this causes me to have to ignore the internet until after the race which severely cramps my style.
  2. Most races are run on the Speed channel with a few broadcast on Fox. For the 3rd most popular sport in the world, you'd think a major network would have snagged the broadcasting rights and be able to show them on a major channel.
  3. I'm not convinced that the commentators always know more than I do about the sport which is pretty bad as I've just begun watching it this year.
Things are looking up, however! It appears that a F1 race will be run in the US next year which can only mean that more people in the states will take an interest in the sport. I cannot imagine that this will be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment