Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, July 28, 2011


I recently lost a dear friend when he took his own life almost 3 weeks ago. Though I never did meet him in person, we were close online friends for about 8 years.
I requested his parent's address from a mutual friend as I wanted to send my condolences. This friend lived near him and had met him in person. She gave me his mother's address and mentioned that his mother wanted to hear from his friends. I don't believe that she and her son had been as close as they might have been and perhaps she'll find some comfort in learning about what other people thought of him.
I fully intend to write to her but... I'm having a difficult time with it all. I've finally gotten past the stage that the mere thought of him makes me cry (well, not every time I think of him) but when I try to describe just how much his friendship meant to me, I falter.
I don't know where to begin. When I do start writing I ramble and babble and I realize that I'm not sure what to share with her at all!
Maybe I'm just not prepared to think too much yet but I really don't want to wait too long to contact her. I have made a resolution to finish this letter this weekend. Perhaps all I need is a deadline to get me going on it.

2 comments:

  1. Try writing it *all* out -- ramble, babble, happy, sad, stupid, irrelevant -- and when you feel you're pretty much done with that, pick out what you think might interest her, re-write as necessary, and send her that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a thought. I still haven't been able to send her anything despite setting a deadline. I do have to write something soon.

    ReplyDelete